Spiced Brown Sugar Cookies Recipe
Recipe by: Joan Repato
339 g (12 oz)
|230 g (8 oz)||Dark Brown Sugar|
|100 g (3.5 oz)||Granulated Sugar|
|14 g (0.5 oz)||Dreidoppel Vanilla Bourbon Flavor Paste|
|375 g (13.2 oz)||All Purpose Flour|
|125 g (4.4 oz)||Bread Flour|
|7 g (.25 oz)||Salt|
|5 g (.18 oz)||Cinnamon|
|2.5 g (.09 oz)||Allspice|
|2.5 g (.09 oz)||Ground Cloves|
|2.5 g (.09 oz)||Ground Ginger|
|1.4 g (.05 oz)||
Maple Glaze Ingredients (3 variations):
|226 g (8 oz)||Powdered Sugar|
|25 g (.88 oz)||Real Maple Syrup|
|10 g, 10 g, or 6 g||Dreidoppel Jamaican Rum, Vanilla Bourbon, or Pumpkin Spice|
|50 g (2 fluid oz)||Heavy Cream|
|50-70 g (3-5 tbsp)||Water|
- Place butter in saucepan. Make brown butter by melting butter over medium high heat; stir constantly until brown bits start forming at the bottom of pan and smells nutty- this will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour it into a mixing bowl, making sure to scrape all the brown bits. Allow to cool while you measure the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix with paddle attachment until fully combined.
- Add eggs one a time, mix until completely blended before adding second egg; blend completely.
- Add Dreidoppel Vanilla Bourbon and mix some more.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together AP flour, bread flour, all the dry spices and salt until fully combined.
- Add dry ingredients to brown butter/sugar mixture and mix on medium low until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and tightly wrap each half separately in plastic wrap and form two round flat disks.
- Refrigerate (or freeze, if you're in a hurry) until dough is firm enough to roll.
- If you are using a pressed cookie cutter with a design, roll the dough out about 1/2 inch thick, then cut and press your cookie firmly and evenly.
- Place your pressed cookies on a sheet pan with parchment paper and freeze cookies at least 30 minute before baking so that the design you have pressed on will stay and not spread during baking.
- Alternatively, if you are using traditional cookie cutters, roll out your dough about 1/4 inch thick, then cut your cookies and freeze your cookies for 20 minutes so they do not spread while baking.
- Bake cookies at 375°F or 190°C for about 8 to 10 minutes; do not overbake.
- Allow to cool completely before dipping your cookies in to Maple Glaze.
Maple Glaze Instructions:
- Whisk together powdered sugar, maple syrup, Dreidoppel flavor of your choice (Dreidoppel Jamaican Rum 10 g; Vanilla Bourbon 10 g; or Pumpkin Spice 5 g), heavy cream, and water to thin down your glaze. Your glaze should be thin enough so you can see the design of your cookie.
- Dip cooled cookies entirely or just on the design side (whatever you prefer); allow excess glaze to drip back into your bowl.
- Allow cookies to completely dry before storing in an airtight container.